UGU: Unix Guru Universe - Doug McIlroy
- Home : Unix Contributors
Douglas McIlroy is a professor of computer science, mathematician, engineer and famous programmer. He is known for having invented:
* The pipes and filters architecture of UNIX
* The entire concept of software componentry
* Several UNIX tools, such as spell, diff, sort, join, graph, speak, tr, etc.
He earned a Bachelor's degree in engineering physics from Cornell University in 1954, and a Ph.D. in applied mathematics from MIT in 1959.
Became head of the research department at Bell Labs in which Unix was born.
Languages and compilers worked on: macros, Lisp, PL/I, TMG, regular expressions; influenced Snobol, Altran, C++
- Full Biography
- M. Douglas McIlroy, Adjunct Professor Home Page
- Bell Labs Personal Home Page
- The history of computing at the Bell Telephone Laboratories Lecture (1997)
- Interview with Doug McIlroy
Why is the picture on a